Management InformationSnow Peak's History of Value Creation
Founded as Yukio Yamai Shoten
Snow Peak now has a growing number of fans in Japan and around the world, but its journey begins more than half a century ago, in 1958, when its founder, Yukio Yamai, starts a hardware wholesale business.
- July 1958
- Yukio Yamai, the first president of the Company, establishes Yukio Yamai Shoten as a hardware wholesale business.
- April 1959
- Yamai, a mountaineering enthusiast, is dissatisfied with the gear of the time and develops his own original mountaineering equipment. Nationwide sales begin.
- October 1963
- "Snow Peak" is registered as a trademark.
- January 1964
- Yamai Shoten is established as a limited company and incorporated. It enters the fishing industry, and the business domain is expanded to that of a full-fledged outdoor leisure manufacturer.
- May 1971
- Reorganized as Yamakou Co. Ltd.
- June 1976
- The Company's own factory is established in Sanjo City, Niigata Prefecture.
Creating the car camping culture
Tohru Yamai, the current Chairman, joins the company and enters the car camping business in earnest.
Despite the tendency for people to think that the outdoors = enjoying inconvenience, Snow Peak creates the idea of designing sites to be comfortable and releases camping gear in line with this idea.
Full-scale release of car camping products.
The Company makes innovations in the Japanese outdoor scene as a pioneer car camping manufacturer.
- Founder Yukio Yamai passes away. Toki Yamai takes over as President.
1995 - 1996
The birth of major nature-oriented products
Solid Stake, released in 1995, is a peg crafted from forged stainless steel that changes the concept of pegs as consumables.
In 1996, we release the Pack and Carry Fireplace to enable the making of fires without damaging nature. This time marks the birth of our current mainstay products.
- December 1996
Tohru Yamai becomes President and Representative Director.
At the same time, the company name is changed to Snow Peak, Inc. Expansion into the United States.
"Snow Peak Way" begins
An event that naturally builds connections between users and staff, and among users, begins in 1998.
In addition to store staff, staff from the administration and planning departments participate in the event to engage with users as individual campers.
- November 2008
- Snow Peak Korea, Inc., a Korean subsidiary, is established.
- September 2009
- Snow Peak Inc. A Corporation of Japan (U.S. Office) is established.
Visualization of experience value
In 2011, HEADQUARTERS, a combined campground, store and headquarters, is established.
In 2019, the Company opens Snow Peak MUSEUM, which makes it possible to visualize the history of Snow Peak and its current activities.
- May 2012
- Snow Peak Wel, Inc. is established and begins employment support business for people with disabilities.
- January 2013
- Snow Peak Taiwan Branch (Taiwan Office) is established.
Listing on the Mothers market of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
In 2014, the Company is listed on the Mothers market of the Tokyo Stock Exchange and then switches to the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 2015.
From FY2014 to FY2020, sales increased from 5.55 billion yen to 16.76 billion yen, and net income increased from 110 million yen to 1.04 billion yen.
- September 2014
- The Company enters the apparel business in earnest.
- December 2015
- Listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- July 2016
- Snow Peak Business Solutions, Inc. is established to strengthen the development and promotion of the outdoor office business.
- February 2017
- Snow Peak Regional Revitalization Consulting, Inc. is established to strengthen the promotion of consulting services related to regional revitalization.
- March 2017
- Snow Peak Operation Core HQ2, a new strategic base that consolidates core functions and streamlines operations, begins operation.
- March 2018
"Snow Peak Tokyo HQ3," a new information dissemination base, begins operations.
Snow Peak London, Limited is established as a subsidiary to promote business in Europe.
- September 2018
We established Snow Peak Hakuba, Inc.
operating from Hakuba Village, Kitaazumi County, Nagano Prefecture
- March 2019
- The Company makes Heartis System & Consulting Inc. a wholly owned subsidiary and integrates it with Snow Peak Business Solutions, Inc.
- July 2019
- Snow Peak USA, Inc. is established as a subsidiary to promote business in the United States.
- March 2020
- Tohru Yamai is appointed Chairman and Representative Director, and Lisa Yamai is appointed President and Representative Director.
- September 2020
- Snow Peak USA Headquarters (Global HQ4), which houses the flagship store, begins operations in the U.S.